About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Friday, July 20, 2007

CHILDREN GROWING IN MY GARDEN

I noticed this week that "mommy wars" are once again being fought between the stay-at-home moms and the work-outside-the-home moms. I have been in both situations. I cannot comment one way or another except to say that being a mother has challenged me more than any other experience I have had. I have had to work hard at being a mom! I believe it is such an important role that I share my parenting experiences - the positive, the hard, the victories, and the failures with the young moms in my circles. I learned early on, that as a young and new mom I could develop unique skills by sharing mommy moments that were randomly filled with joy, doubt,and frustration. I grew and matured with other moms and older women who willingly and eagerly stepped into my life.

Twice a month I "work" at the Charlotte Pregnancy Care Center encouraging young pregnant women in their parenting skills. Five years ago I began this program for Latina mothers. Wednesday I stood amazed as woman after woman stepped into the classroom eager to listen to an older woman's wise words. I am not so sure my words are all that wise, but it gives me great joy to be able to share my parenting experiences with these beautiful women who want to be good mothers. So on the first and third Wednesday of each month, my friend Angela and I welcome Hispanic women from various Spanish speaking countries and,in Spanish, we touch on a topic of parenting.

Day before yesterday we talked about the value of blessing our children. The Bible is filled with blessings and this is what the American Study Bible says:

"A blessing was one way of asking for God's divine favor to rest upon others. The ancient blessing in Numbers 6:22-26 helps us understand what a blessing was supposed to do."

Ancient fathers blessed their sons by calling to their child. Once the child came close by, the father would touch his child and then speak positive words. We talked about the importance of beginning this practice early in a child's life in order to build a strong relationship and begin a positive tradition.

In their book, THE BLESSING, Dr. John Trent and Gary Smaley say, "the unconditional love and approval that comes with the blessing is vital to self-esteem and emotional
well-being." These are the five elements of the blessing: 1-Meaningful touch, 2-A spoken message, 3-Attaching high value, 4-Picturing a special future, 5-An active commitment.

For more information on blessing your children, visit http://www.theblessing.com/

May the Lord bless you and protect you.
May the Lord smile on you and be gracious to you.
May the Lord show you his favor and give you peace.
(Numbers 6:24-26 NLT)

0 comments: