About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Sunday, July 29, 2007

TAKING THE GARDEN TO THE JUNGLE

I needed some stamps so I stopped at the post office while running errands this past week. As usual, when I entered the building, the line snaked out into the hall. I decided to try the automated machine and buy my stamps by inserting bills and pushing buttons. I don't like shopping that way for a coupld of reasons. I like talking with people when I buy something. I have lost money in machines. Glancing toward the stamp machine I noticed a lady having trouble - just as I thought. No, I would step into that long snake of a line. She continued forcing her dollar bills into the machine to no avail. It was then that I heard her talking. "I'm not going to let this frustrate me. People are watching and I am going to be patient and long- suffering." She went on talking to herself, cheering herself on, periodically looking up in the midst of her conversation. Then, suddenly, BINGO, the machine accepted her dollar. "Thank you, Jesus!" She said. "You bless me when I obey." It was then that she turned to me and said, "It works! Come here honey and I will help you. That line is too long." I obeyed her, handed her my bills, and she proceeded to get my stamps for me. All the while she told me about her morning devotions. "I pray every morning before I step out of my house." She told me she asks God to forgive her for her wrong doings and show her how to be a better person. She also told me that she asks God to put people in her path so she can be the love of Jesus to tohers. Then she explained to me that in one fell swoop God had answered her prayer. She said that she refused to be tempted into frustration and anger when the machine would not cooperate. "Others are watching to see if I am really a Christian." When I came along, she knew I was the one who needed a loving trouch from God. That entire exchange took place in minutes! The post office line had not moved during our time together. This blessed lady hugged me when I thanked her for her testimony and her lifestyle. She sent me on my way determined to take her attitude with me the rest of the day. Life in the jungle can be tamed when Christians act with lovingkindness.

0 comments: