About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Saturday, August 18, 2007

A JOURNEY TO GOD'S HEART

http://www.compassion.com/child-advocacy/find-your-voice/photo-essays/what-does-poverty-look-like-slideshow



Omar served not only as a language translator for our group, he translated the Word and Jesus' commands into real life by living every moment of his day just as Jesus would have, had he been walking in our little group of ambassadors. Omar and the Compassion International staff - a living example of Jesus walk while He lived on earth. "You don't have to walk alone. Please come walk with me."



Last week I left the comfort of my garden and traveled toward the jungle, literally. Along with several other pilgrims - my teammates, the Proverbs 31 Speaker Team, and the Compassion International staff, I made a journey into God's heart. Yes! That is right, into God's heart!

I felt the awesome and trembling experience of venturing to a place where I understood the overwhelming love God has for His children. I not only came to the realization that God longs for the little ones to know Him, I realized my own depravity. Oh, I thank God for my blessings every day - my warm, or cool, home depending on the season of the year, food, health, a car, clothes, precious sons, a strong family, a husband who provides for me, a lovely church where I worship, a free nation... My list is long. But, what if I had none of the above? What if I had no tangible things for which to thank God? Would He still be my God?

Returning to South America has been a dream for me ever since I left my childhood home in Colombia. When I was 14 years old my American family moved back to the United States. Ever since, I have harbored a longing to return. God opened the doors for me to make that return pilgrmage to Ecuador when Proverbs 31 Ministries partnered with Compassion International.
God needed to take me back to remind me of what truly counts. He needed to show me what impresses Him most.

My wide opened eyes, heart, and mind searched the surrounding environment the first day as our bus climbed out of Quito, taking us to a project where we could experience first hand how God takes common, ordinary men and women and transforms them into Christlike servant leaders.

On that first day God invited me to join Him and Omar up a dirt road, higher still over an embedded stone pathway, and into the humble home of a single mother. Our little group of pilgrims included several P31 speakers, two sponsored girls and their teacher to whom they lovingly clinged at all times, our translator, Omar, and the director of Compassion International Ecuador, Sixto.

Guiding us up the steep hill, conversing with the girls and their teacher, gently pointing out the reality of the poverty that surrounded us, Omar's style grabbed my heart. I could not ignore his Christ-like genuine concern for others. Like Jesus he touched the poor and needy in our circle. Like Jesus he treated us all equally. Like Jesus he listened. Like a gentle shepherd he often stepped out in front of us to guide us and protect us.

When his gentle spirit moved slowly and respectfully into the tiny 3-room home of our hostess, darkness immediately overwhelmed me. How could a family of 8 survive in a place with no windows, two light bulbs, no toilet facilities or running water? Something was wrong with this picture.

Slowly, God turned the dimmer switch in my mind allowing my skewed view of spiritual reality to truly comprehend that the wrong thing with this picture was my short sighted attitude!

The moment Omar entered and spoke, God's Holy Spirit moved into that humble place. Omar touched our hostess and thanked her for allowing us to visit her clean home. He complimented her children. He encouraged her to continue being the good mother she is. He pointed out to her that her willingness to allow her nephew and sister to live with her pleased God. Throughout his entire interaction with this sweet and hard working woman he treated her with respect and dignity.

He dignified her daughters also as he spoke words of life and hope into their souls. His interaction with these women is forever branded on my soul. As we returned to the church, the daughters and the teacher continued to walk with us. As I stated earlier, we were a group of American women speakers, a national director, a translator and three young ladies - poor and rejected by society. Omar chose to walk with the young women, "the least of these." As one of the girls drifted off from the group, Omar reached out his arm and drew her in. "You don't have to walk alone," he kindly told her in Spanish. "Please, come walk with us."

Omar served not only as a language translator for our group, he translated the Word and Jesus' commands into real life by living every moment of his day just as Jesus would have, had He been walking in our little group of ambassadors.

Omar and the Compassion International staff - a living example of Jesus walk while He lived on earth. "You don't have to walk alone. Please come walk with me."

Interested in knowing more about Compassion International? Visit www.compasion.com

2 comments:

Laura said...

Dear Van,
What an amazing journey! I cannot wait to hear more about your time in Ecuador. The pictures you have posted tell a thousand stories...I was touched by the one of you with the children. The little boy giving his friend rabbit ears just warmed my heart! Aren't children amazing? No matter what their situation, they manage to bring joy into it! I showed the picture to my two boys and they got a kick out of it too. Tell us more!
Laura B.

Charlene Kidd said...

Van, my tears are flowing again by reading your post (see my blog entry). I was touched by your sharing the translations of Omars words. I was with you that day, and I was flooded with the emotions reading more about what was said. Thanks so much.
Love you bunches,
Charlene