About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What's on your coffee table? Wednesday

Today I read the December 29th entry in the devotional guide, Streams in the Desert. The encouraging words end with an anonymouns quote:

                        "When faith goes to the market  it always takes a basket." 

I have a collection of baskets.

Last night I pulled one off my shelf and filled it with bread to take to a friend's home where our two families broke bread and ate yummy spagetti.

The basket sat in the middle of the table. I wish I had taken a picture of everyone's hands as they reached in to grab their bread. No one was shy. We took, we ate, we were filled.

I have a basket sitting on the desk in my kitchen. It is filled with Christmas cards.  Daily I reread cards and letter sent to me over the past month. I may not have seen my friends in years, but I KNOW they are my friends. I know because they remember me and they write to me. I really don't need much more confirmation.

On my coffee table sits a large basket filled with the books I gave my sons each year at Christmas. There are over 30 books - one for each Christmas. Each book represents a stage in life. Each story comes with a special warm memory.

I believe our relationship with God is like the filled baskets in my life- He asks us to come to Him because HE generously wants to give to us. He speaks to us through letters, traditions, and memories handed down through generations.

When I clean house and put up the decorations I am going to place an empty basket on my coffee table.

I am amazed that today's Bible verse is found in Judges (18:9-10). Right now the ladies with whom I meet each week to study the Bible are reading the book of Judges! Any way --- the verse reads:

"Come on...! We have seen that the land is very good. Aren't you going to do something? Don't hesitate to go there and take it over... God has put into your hands a land that lacks nothing whatever." 

Whatever I need is out there ~ mine to claim. .

My basket sits empty as this year ends and a new one begins. I will not be making a New Year's resolution. This year I will live my life out of a theme - Great Expectations.

Each morning I will begin my day asking God to fill my basket with the possessions He has promnised.

Friend- don't forget your basket when you head to the market place. Remember your basket and remember to

Shine!

3 comments:

B His Girl said...

Hi Van,
I passed on that same line out of Streams in the Desert to a friend. It stuck out to me too. I am expecting great things from the Lord also in 2011. My friend Tiffany sent me a pic of a liscense plate that said "Amazing Awaits"
Let's have our baskets out in faith this year and shine for Jesus. To market we go....Blessings, B

Linda said...

Hi Van -
Thanks for sharing!
See you on Thursday -
Linda

Wendy Bello said...

This book is my mom's all time favorite when it comes to devotionals. My grandma used to read it to me when I was little. (The Spanish version, BTW). Then I read it to her when I grew up and my eyes were not as tired as hers.
Interestingly, the other day I read a post by Michael W. Smith on Facebook and he was reading at that very moment Streams in the Desert. I think I'm going to find a copy for myself.
And as for my basket...is ready too.