About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Friday, June 20, 2008

THE SECRET OF WAITING

Sorry to keep you waiting...

Wednesday during our evening Bible study fifty women showed up to figure out why waiting is so hard and come to find out that EVERYONE has been ushered into God's WAIT ROOM one time or another during the course of their lives.

We gathered into small groups where we became acquainted with each other by talking about LIGHT WAITS like getting lost, car pool lines, grocery check out lines, and potty training.

Our HEAVY WAITS included everything from waiting for marriages, family relationships, and friendships to heal to finding jobs, settling financial debt, coming to grips with illnesses, some terminal, and just WAITING for God to show us the way.

I told the ladies that I would have despaired in the midst of my TIME TRIALS had it not been for the fact that I found solid ground where I could steady myself.

“I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and let your heart take courage; yes, wait for the Lord." (Psalms 27:13-14)


Where does one go to find the goodness of the Lord. Wondering how to get to know God - read all about Him in His book, the BIBLE. This is what I read about Him when I am facing an overwhelming wait:

"I waited patiently for the Lord to help me and he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. " (Psalm 40:1-2)

...except I don't really wait very patiently!!

"He set my feet on solid ground..." So in the midst of one of my most challenging trials I started flipping through the Bible and an obscure character caught my attention.

King Hezekiah! Who is he?


Read all about him in Kings and Chronicles, 2 Kings 18-20 and 2 Chronicles 29-31

I know, I know-who wants to read boring historical accounts of long lost nations? Let me tell you, when I read that Hezekiah was a king like no other, "so that after him there was none like him among all the kings of Judah, nor among those who were before him." I got interested.

The life and times of Hezekiah fascinates me. I am enchanted with the life of nobility especially real people who descended from King David and who appear in King Jesus' lineage.

So what does all this have to do with waiting? King Hezekiah spent his entire reign waiting, waiting and watching as the enemy nation of Assyrians swept down upon his nation, destroying and demolishing one city after another. King Hezekiah waited and watched as the army camped outside the fortress of Jerusalem threatening to conquer and haul off hostages.

...not unlike the story of our nation - the US right now as we watch our borders wondering when the next terrorist will strike.

The object of our waits can be compared to an enemy - we face our waits as if they would destroy us, not knowing how to handle them.

Hezekiah knew how to handle the enemy. He didn't focus on the what if's and the unknowns. He refused to let himself be carried away by fear and frustration.

2 Kings 18: verses 5 and 6 give those of us who wait clear instructions on how to lift our heavy waits: He trusted in the LORD, the God of Israel...he clung to the LORD; he did not depart from following Him, but kept His commandments..." (NASB)

Have you been ushered into God's WAIT ROOM. Your Personal Trainer has a message for you:

CLING to the LORD


Your WAIT too heavy? Cling to Jesus
Your WAIT keeping you awake at night? Cling to Jesus
Your WAIT got you bound up in fear? Cling to Jesus
Your WAIT preoccupying you? Cling to Jesus

In order to lift that WAIT of yours, you have to hold on to it. If you are going to cling to Jesus you have to make a choice. Hold onto your WAIT or let go of it so you can hold onto Jesus.

What are we going to do? King Hezekiah - clung to the LORD. I think I am going to try his way. After all, it worked.

Read the rest of his story to see how God worked out King Hezekiah's time trials.

See you next Wednesday in the WAIT ROOM!

3 comments:

Mindy said...

Van-
It was so great to meet you this weekend! Thanks for your encouragement, your wisdom and your heart to help all of us in your group, find our voice.
I look forward to staying connected to you.
Blessings on your week,
Mindy <><

Laura said...

Van,
It was so sweet to see you again and give you a hug! It was another wonderful SheSpeaks and I'm so thankful for the experience. I keep praying for you, my friend. Your ministry is so important. I celebrate with you the Bible study you are doing this summer. How awesome is that?! He is soooo good!

Susan said...

Van,
Thank you so much for your words of encouragement on the secret of waiting. It never seems to amaze me as to how “on time” my God is. With financial and physical woes at my door you have reminded me once again, that I need to keep my eyes on the Lord! I’m really ok with the wait, truly I am…it’s the next page of the chapter that I would like to have a glimpse of so that I can prepare for it “whatever” it may be. I sometimes think that’s why I find myself in this situation more often that not so that He can once again teach me that I am not in control He is. My Lord brought me thought “it” before and He will bring me thought it again…as long as I keep my focus on Him. For me that looks like…prayer (speaking to Him) and meditation (listen for Him). I am a 50 year old wife, mom and gammy that lives in the Euless, Texas area seeking a Christ based support group. I would love to get to know other women in the area. Whether that is online support, meeting for coffee, Bible Study, etc… I need other Christ centered women in my life to show me His way. Once again thanks! Peace!

~walk with the angels~
Susan