About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Sunday, December 30, 2007

PACKING UP CHRISTMAS

Yesterday we returned home from our Christmas journey. I walked into my home realizing that “Christmas is over. It is time to put it away.”

Every year I put off pulling out the red an green storage boxes. Something just isn’t right when, at the end of each Christmas season, we have to pack away the decorations – reminders that we have once again celebrated the birth of Christ.

This year I resolve to continue to display the decorations that celebrate Jesus’ birthday. Oh, I know how tacky that might appear. I don’t mean that shiny gold, green and red balls will remain as centerpieces on my dining room table. The Christmas lights will come down. Evergreens that are drying up are surely bound for the compost pile out back, and the candy canes… well I am not sure what I am going to do with them!

But, I resolve to allow the decorations that brought peace and light, beauty and wonder into my house to remain a part of my everyday life as I step into a new year.

While I store away the ornaments and candles, the wreaths and crèches, I promise to fan the flame that gave me such peace over the past several weeks. I promise to regularly peer into the Word that causes me to pause in wonder at the love my heavenly Father has for me. I promise to be a forever friend to those whose lives are threatened by life’s destructive forces. I promise to continue to look to God as I search for hope, peace, and my life’s purpose. I promise to trust Him to dignify me, not the world.

It’s time to store Christmas away…

Today I will begin the process of storing this very special Christmas, not into boxes in my attic nor into bins in my basement, but into precious memories deep in my heart.


Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me
Let there be peace on earth
The peace that was meant to be

With God as our Father
Brothers all are we
Let me walk with my brother
In perfect harmony

Let peace begin with me
Let this be the moment now
WIth every step I take
Let this be my solemn vow

To take each moment and live
each moment in peace eternally
Let there be peace on earth
and let it begin with me

5 comments:

Laura said...

Welcome home, Van! I have missed you! I pray your holiday was blessed! I know what you mean about "packing up Christmas". I always feel a little sad. I have a couple little things that I leave out each year. One is my very first nativity scene (there's a picture of it on my latest blog). It's a very simple little depiction of Jesus' birth, and I love it. A few years ago, I couldn't bring myself to pack it away, so it stays out on the baker's rack in my kitchen year round. It always makes me smile. but I know you are referring more to our hearts, and I love your resolutions regarding the same. Bless you in the new year!
Laura

Just Me said...

Hello Van....it's my first time stopping in - i found you on Suzi's blog, and hopped over from there! Anyways...loved the sentiment you posted! Way to go!

Laura said...

Van,
I am back again to tell you Happy Newest Year and to thank you for the kind words you have given me. They were such a comfort to me. The holiday season is a time of rapidly swinging emotions for me, and I think it will be that way for a time. Time heals so many many wounds. You are a blessing to me!
Laura B.

renee stains said...

Happy New Year Van! I finallly had some time to check out your blog! How fun! I don't have a clue how to blog much less the time! Sounds like you had fun with the boys for Christmas! My parents came over to spend time with their girls and the grandkids and then for New years we headed up to their ski cabin in upper WI to go skiing in upper Michigan. Frank and I took turns hanging out with Daniel. He loves the cabin and was all smiles. Andrew did great skiing this year. I need to run, but hope to check out your blog whenever I can. Love you. Renee

Laura said...

Van,
Love the title of your blog!!

Laura