About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Thursday, February 12, 2009

WAITING FOR MY FRIEND

Can't wait for SHE SPEAKS? Register here:



She told me she would pick me up so we could ride together to meet all our girl friends for dinner. When I was ready to go I sat down to wait.

There by the window I could keep an eye on the driveway and run out the door. I didn’t want her to have to get out of her car and come get me

So I waited by the window.

Usually when my life is put on hold I become impatient.

I didn’t grow impatient. I stared out the window anticipating an evening with friends.

Too often when I have to slow down I become angry.

I didn’t get angry. I was happy that my friend was driving and I was not.

Whenever I have to wait, especially if I am waiting for something that feels the list bit unpleasant I find myself growing anxious.

I didn’t let anxiety take over. I trusted that my friend would either show up or call.

Sometimes waiting causes me to allow fear, dread, or doubt to surface.

I didn’t let any of those emotions control my moment of rest and stillness because I simply wanted to sit quiet for a few moments and be thankful for the few seconds of rest.

Eventually I saw my friend’s car pull into my driveway. I stood up from my wait and joined her for the ride to the restaurant.

Why can’t I handle all my waits like that?

God is in my future. He has promised me an abundant life. He will never forget me. I know he is my “driver.” He will take me where I need to go. I know I can trust God. Knowing all that why don’t I simply enjoy the rest, the stillness, the quiet when He keeps me waiting.

I just can’t believe that I wait patiently for my friend when she takes her time, but get anxious when my Lord is slow!

I think I have my priorities mixed up.

Time to wait focusing on His promises, setting aside my predicaments.

5 comments:

JottinMama said...

I needed that tonight :) I tend to be the worlds worst "waiter".

Thanks so much!

Have a great rest of the week,
Kate :)

Julie said...

Though I have been learning to wait over the years, it has not come easy for me.

One thing I have noticed is that if I don't learn to wait, I am the one miserable.. So, I am learning with Him as the teacher.

Thanks for your visit to my blog. I am always blessed when people stop by and leave me notes. Thank you for your sweet words. They have blessed me today!

Laura said...

I too have my priorities mixed up! I love how you counter your usual reaction to waiting with the opposite...I need to talk to myself the same way when I wait.

Working on patience, Van!

Happy Valentine's day!

John Cowart said...

I hate to wait!

It makes me so impatient with people.

Therefore, since I can do little but complain about them... I have to reverse the situation and make sure that I myself am on time and be there when I said I would so that no one has to get frustrated while they wait for me.

Aunt Angie said...

Thanks Van for the visit to "our" blog. My husband recently came on board---God is doing amazing things in his life---opening up his mouth---to match the heart of his that has been open to God for the past 27+ years! Your comment was an encouragement! Yes, we experienced QUITE a bit of waiting. One of the "road" experiences is something I will blog about this week!

I enjoyed reading on "all" your blogs---and I enjoyed my time at the She Speaks last year so much! Wish we (my sister Aimee and I) could attend this year, but things have crunched down--but we "wait" for God's leading hand in whatever direction He turns us to! Be blessed this week!