About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

WEDNESDAYS ARE FOR WAITING

Soaring or Stumbling in the Wait - You Choose

I just stepped in from a little get away time by the pool where I found myself listening to a mix of oldies – actually my very own - OLD collection of oldies.

Last week while Suzie and I entertained ourselves I pulled out a little red box filled with 45 RPM records. For those of you who don’t know what I'm talkin’ about – that is what I listened to almost 45 years ago. We walked down memory lane as we pulled out – one by one- the little not-much-bigger-than-CD’s disks. We read each title to a song, sang a few words, talked about how much we liked the song, what it meant to us, and why. Slowly happily moving on to the next song - right down memory lane.

Then- quietly my gifts-of-service husband looked through the records and downloaded music for me. Now I have my favorite mix of oldies that take me back many many years.

I write all this to say that, while exercising in the water and sitting by the pool, a song drifted in and out of my ears.

The song? “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head.” By B.J. Thomas
The lyrics amazed me!

I am in a state of wait. Those of you who have kept up with my Wait Management blog might remember the Bible study that referred to
King Hezekiah’s wait ~ While he waited He praised God. You know, when the wait of the world is on your shoulders it is not easy to praise God – but my favorite king did. He taught me to praise God in the wait. I learned – it works. I mean, my spirits lift to the heavenlies and for a few moments I take my mind and heart off the wait of the world and believe God carries my wait on his shoulders. That is OK by me. The thing is – I take it back.

Right now my WAIT is that I am waiting until next week at She Speaks to present my book proposal – AGAIN. This will be the third, or fourth, year I have spoken to editors about my book! I am getting weary… if you know what I mean. But for some reason I can’t give it up just yet.


And so just a few moments ago I heard this song and decided-

“I’ll never stop the rain by complaining… But there's one thing I know: The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me. It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me…”


So like the author of this song – I may be met with no-news (sometimes bad-news) raindrops – but with God’s help, I’ll just keep pitching my proposal until one day – happiness will step up to greet me!


Here are the lyrics to an age old song, that I think has lots of truth in it:


Raindrops keep falling on my head...

And just like the guy whose feet are too big for his bed, nothing seems to fit. Those raindrops are falling on my head, they keep falling.

So I just did me some talking to the sun. And I said I didn't like the way, he got things done... sleeping on the job...

But there's one thing I know: The blues they send to meet me won't defeat me. It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me.

falling on my head, they keep falling.

Raindrops keep falling on my head but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red. Crying's not for me cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining. Because I'm free. Nothing's worrying me.

It won't be long till happiness steps up to greet me.

Raindrops keep falling on my head but that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red. Crying's not for me cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complaining. Because I'm free. Nothing's worrying meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.


Meanwhile picture me puttin’ up my umbrella so those raindrops won’t defeat me! I've got a proposal to perfect!


Shine!

6 comments:

Danielle said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today. I haven't even been to this years and I am already looking foward to future ones... especially when my daughter is older and she can go, too.

I loved this post, btw!

Jen - Balancing Beauty and Bedlam said...

hi Van - so fun browsing your blog to see what you've been up to. I was in your speakers group years ago and will be attending next week. I am looking forward to seeing you again. :)

Joyful said...

My favourite line..."Because I'm free." I don't always live like it, but I am free in Christ. It is for freedom that He has set me free.

My post today was entitled, "Soaring" and the one I've written for tomorrow is entitled "Freedom". We must be on the same wavelength.

Thanks for visiting my blog and for your comment. I don't write often on the blog you visited, but I've written daily since January 1st of this year on my other blog: www.ponderinginhispresence.blogspot.com

Praying for you and all the P31 team as you share next weekend. May the Lord lead and direct in regards to your book proposal.

Blessings,
Joy

Tracie Miles said...

I havent thought of that song, or heard it, in years! I too had not realized how appropriate the words are, what a great reminder to use God as our umbrella for those ugly raindrops. I will be praying for you and your book proposal - as you know, good things come to those who wait! You will do great. See you in a few days friend!

Julie Zine Coleman said...

If getting a contract on a book proposal was the only barometer of our effectiveness, we'd all be doomed. Fortunately, there are so many other indicators that God is using us. Last week's comments that were posted were a true indicator as to how many lives you are touching in your ministry, Van!

I'm working on getting my own proposal perfected for a writer's conference in Philly next week. I'll be looking forward to hearing how things went for you at yours. God bless you next week as you work to encourage others in their ministries!

Yolanda said...

Van,

May God grant you the desires of you heart at She Speaks. He is so faithful and may His WILL be evident.

Lovingly,
Yolanda