About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, May 19, 2008

MOVIN' ON AFTER MOVIN' IN MONDAY

THE MOVE OF A LIFE TIME

Today I attended the funeral of my daughter-in-law's grandmother. Evelyn went to be with Jesus the day after Mother's Day. On that day her three children and many of her grandchildren had visited her. Her pastor shared communion with her. She was ready to move on.

The front of the bulletin read:
"I will live in the house of the Lord forever."


Maybe you are not at all like me. Maybe you have lived in one place all your life. Evelyn spent her last 70 years as a member of the church where her funeral service took place. She was married there. Her 2 daughters married there. My son married her granddaughter there!

Evelyn lived in the Milwaukee area all her life. I, on the other hand, need more than two hands to count all the places I have lived in my life.

One thing is for sure, though. A week ago she moved on. She might not have moved much in her life, but she spent her life preparing for the one day she would make the greatest move of all.

During the service we celebrated her life. She married Earl. Together they raised 3 children and influenced 7 grandchildren. My son married into that family, a family influenced by her godliness. Although I only spent a few hours with her on two days surrounding the wedding of my son to her granddaughter, I feel I know her. I know her through the gentleness of her husband. I know her through the generosity and hospitality of her daughter. I know her through the loveliness of my son's wife. I feel I know her because of the way her offspring have taken in my son and made him part of the family. She taught them through example and word to live and walk the narrow path of godliness and goodness. I know her becuase of the legacy she passed on to the next generation. I see her life played out in the lives of so many.

I hardly knew Evelyn, but I have seen the works of her hands and heart. For me and my family her life and influence on my son and dauther-in-law will be a world of difference to them as they in turn build their own family.

As I sat in the service listening to words of praise and thanksgiving, hearing of her life, and praying to God who offers eternal life to those who believe in Him, I thought, "There is no God like You. You call us into the Light. You surround us with Your Truth. You bless us from generation to generation."

Moving is always hard. Telling Evelyn good bye was especially difficult for her grandchildren. Yet, today in church her pastor gave the congregation an glimpse into her desire to be set free from the bonds of her failing body. He told us that the spark of faith he saw in her as she partook of her Last Communion here on earth pointed toward the new life she so anticipated.

I think of my own life. I may not be experiencing high adventure. I have not influenced lots of people. I am really pretty ordinary. Each day I ask God what He wants me to do? Some days I feel like I accomplished loads for the kingdom. Other days I feel pretty average.

I think of Evelyn. She was no revolutionary. Not a whole lot of people know her name. Yet, she made a home for her family, a place of peace and comfort, a place from which each one was launched to touch others, to make this world a better place for a few. She didn't accomplish grandiose deeds. She was born, grew up, married, raised a family, and then moved.

I am no stranger to moving. I know how to pack and unpack, how to reach out and how to let go. Although I have not alwyas wanted to move, I know one thing - the last move I ever make will be...

To the house of the Lord forever.


What about you, how are you preparing for that last move?

6 comments:

LeAnn said...

I can only pray that my son marries into a family as wonderful as Evelyns... or yours. You absolutely have influenced LOTS of people and you continue to influence everyone that God places in your life. You are one of the Godliest women I have ever known and I consider you one of the greatest blessings in my life.

Much Love!
LeAnn

Mommyluann said...

Wow...that was an awesome blog. Great legacy to leave....

Jerralea said...

I love the idea of moving - it always excites me to think of a fresh start in a new place. But what an awesome move Evelyn made! Talk about a fresh start.

Thanks for sharing!

Jerri

Laura said...

Van,
I have to agree with LeAnn, you have influenced many with your words and your deeds! I think of the community of Hispanic women that you mentor, I think of all the women who read your Prov. 31 devotionals, I think of those you have spoken to in your speaking ministry, the children who read your book, not to mention your own family and the future generations you will influence through them. You are a true gem. God has plucked you up and put you in HIs crown!! You bring Him great glory, my wonderful friend!
I continue to pray for you daily...
Laura

Kathleen said...

Lovely reflections. Years ago I ran across a verse that has stuck with me and been a great comfort when I've felt like a desert sojourner. In the NKJV it reads:

"Your statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage." Psalm 119:55

I like that, "the house of my pilgrimage". It gives permanence to my abode today, yet carries with it the theme of my home tomorrow - where I, like you and each of His own, will dwell with Him forever.

Be blessed,
Kathleen

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I prepare this day by reflecting on the necessary truth that gets me from here to there. Unless Christ returns, I, too, will have a funeral. More than anything that could be said about me, I would want others to say that I lived an authentic life in the shadow of God's cross.

That's enough. That's everything.

peace~elaine