About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Friday, January 1, 2010

AN INVITATION TO SHINE IN A NEW DECADE

By now you have opened and responded to all the invitations you received over the span of the last 6 weeks. You have partied, baked goodies, attended pot lucks and family gatherings. The party is over. We are in a season of rest, yet I want to give you yet another invitation:

YOU ARE INVITED


WHERE?


Van’s blog – right here


WHEN?


it’s a drop in – any time

WHAT CAN I BRING?


come with an open heart – leave comments


Last night, when my sons left after dinner heading up town to ring in the New Year with friends, we cautioned them. The younger one- not young, nearly 22 reminded us – eyes twinkling and teasing smile:

“AW – Mom, Dad. This is a special year to celebrate. We have to do it right. After all it is the end of a decade the beginning of a new decade.”

Then the two stepped out to meet friends, leaving me to ponder - A NEW DECADE.

I too am looking forward to a new decade. I am anticipating something new because God encourages us to.

For several weeks I have asked God to guide me- to show me where in HIS WORD the two of us would journey over the course of 2010. I had no idea what His plans were. Last year I read through the gospels several times – becoming more deeply acquainted with Jesus. I had been moved to do so because I read that God mourns the fact that we don’t KNOW Him. I wanted to change that so I studied Jesus’ life all year. I believe I read all four gospels at least three times and some maybe more. I would encourage anyone looking for a year-long Bible reading to do the same.

Today I know the journey I will be taking with my Holy Father. He is taking me into a study of

HOLINESS
…and He is using Moses’ writing in the book of Leviticus to guide me up the path toward “the mountain of God, His holy place.”

Already in one small quiet time moment this morning I have learned so much. I am exploding with excitement about this new study.

I invite you to join me!

I don’t know where to start so I will begin with the Bible commentary in my NLV Life Application Study Bible – the words written as an introduction to the book of Leviticus:

“ ‘God seems so far away… if only I could see or hear him.’ Have you ever felt this way – struggling with loneliness, burdened by despair, riddled with sin, overwhelmed by problems? Made in God’s image we were created to have a close relationship with Him; (I will address this in the next day’s study on Holiness.) thus when fellowship is broken, we are incomplete and need restoration.”

This introduction to Leviticus goes on to give a bit of background – God gave Moses the law- Leviticus is a portion of that Law. During this time- over 3000 years ago, the Israelites, who had fled the captivity of Egypt, camped at the foot of Mt. Sinai for two years as they rested, learned, met with God and built a new relationship with Him.

So –today is the beginning of a year, maybe two year, long camping trip – a trip to the mountain of God, a study on Holiness.
It all began at the foot of the mountain of God:

Moses and the Burning Bush

1 One day Moses was tending the flock… He led the flock far into the wilderness and came to Sinai,the mountain of God. 2 There the angel of the LORD appeared to him in a blazing fire from the middle of a bush. Moses stared in amazement. Though the bush was engulfed in flames, it didn’t burn up. 3 “This is amazing,” Moses said to himself. “Why isn’t that bush burning up? I must go see it.”


4 When the LORD saw Moses coming to take a closer look, God called to him from the middle of the bush, “Moses! Moses!”


“Here I am!” Moses replied.


5 “Do not come any closer,” the LORD warned. “Take off your sandals, for you are standing on holy ground. 6 I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” When Moses heard this, he covered his face because he was afraid to look at God.


7 Then the LORD told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them…and lead them out…” Exodus 3:1-8

God hears our cries of distress. He comes down to rescue us. He leads us out…

Let’s go and together, because we have a future and a hope~

Shine!

6 comments:

B His Girl said...

Hi Van,

Yes, my turtle post was for you. God was speaking to both of us about shining. I would love to join you as we seek to grow closer to the Lord. Yes to God and to your invitation. Thanks. I need to add you to my blogroll. I am working on another video with one of the words He has given me for the new year. Stayed tuned. B

S. Etole said...

This was the yearning in my heart today, too ... thanks for visiting and leading me here.

Jewels said...

Hi Van, I love your name! Here in Grand Rapids where so many Dutch live, it's the start of many last names which I'm sure you know :) Thanks for stopping by my blog and looking at my photos. God bless you in your ministry! I'll check back.

Laura said...

New decade??? Wow. I never thought it. But I"m praying it is a special one for you, Van! My resolution? Stop by more often. Miss you, friend.

Julie Zine Coleman said...

Hi Van--
Wow, you've been busy writing since I last landed on your blog! I look forward to what God shows you on holiness. I'm working on a project about Lent, so that will be my focus at least at the beginning of this year. Then I have committed to creating a new retreat on prayer for April. So much to study, so little time...

Have a happy new year-- you know I am praying--

Amy Carroll said...

Love you, Van! My family is going to read through the Bible together this year, and I can't wait to see what treasures we unearth together.

Big hugs to you!

Amy