About Me

Van Walton

Fun Facts about Van Walton

My favorite smell: The way the earth smells after it rains.

My favorite sound: The first notes of a grand symphony.

My favorite way to relax: Sitting anywhere outside - on my front porch, on my deck, or by the lake, early in the morning with my first cup of coffee.

My favorite birthday dessert: a Peach cobbler baked by my husband. He’s my fave chef!

I will not eat: Avocado. They turn my stomach into a volcano that never erupts.

Technology I couldn't live without and why: My laptop - it takes me anywhere I want to go.

One thing that makes me smile: My sons' faces!

FacebookFriend Van on Facebook

My Resources



My book, From the Pound to the Palace, is available for $10
from Proverbs 31 Ministries.


Pound to Palace


My book, Little Halos, is available for $5.99 from Proverbs
31 Ministries.


Little Halos


Proverbs 31 Ministries












Links




Sponsor a Child in Jesus Name with Compassion

Monday, January 4, 2010

MOVIN' ON AFTER MOVIN' IN MONDAYS

Moving up the mountain of God

A look at holiness.

Why?

If I expect to move God, I need to practice holiness. 

I often wonder why it seems that all my efforts to communicate with God go nowhere. I have heard people say, "My prayers don't go any farther than the ceiling of the room."

Why is that?

I think Psalm 24 has the answer:

The earth is the Lord's and everything in it. The world and all the people belong to him. For He laid the earth's foundation... and built it... Who may climb the ountain of the Lord?

              Only those whose hands and hearts are pure,
                                 who don't worship idols 
                                  and never tell lies

Now I know why my prayers sometimes feel fruitless-
                               My hands are dirty!
                               My heart is wicked!
                               My idols are many!
                               I lie to myself and others!

How can I expect God to hear my prayers when I am not willing to obey Him or honor Him? That seems one way ish.

Before I approach God, I think I need to deal with that which would separate me from Him.  How do I do that?

I don't.

He does!

"If I confes my sin to Jesus He is faithful and just to forgive me and my sins and to cleanse me from all wickedness." 1 John 1:9

The theme of Leviticus is found in the 19th chapter - the first verse:

"You must be holy because I the Lord am holy."

The book of Leviticus - Levi being the name of the priestly tribe- was written for the priests to explain to them how to worship almighty God. If we want to approach God, we must be holy. Leviticus describes the steps toward holiness - it is a climb up to the mountain of God. Moses made that ascent and returned with the instructions for His people- How can I approach a holy God when I am a mere creature?

Holiness is mentioned 152 times in Leviticus, more than in any other book of the Bible. I long to be near God. I need to be near Him. I cannot survive without Him.

The first step toward holiness is confession. I've made a list of my sins. I am asking God to help me deal with each one. I challenge you to do the same.

Right here I have a question and would like to know from you readers~ Does your church encourage or allow for a time of confession during Sunday morning worship?

"Be holy for I the lord am holy."

I want to be holy so I can

Shine!


               

3 comments:

B His Girl said...

No Van we do not. In the prayer before the offering our shortcomings/lack of focus etc might be mentioned but I would not say there is a time really set for confession. Today I have been reflecting on being on our knees before God. He is holy!

Cynthia Lott Vogel said...

Van,
My heart has wandered from the mountain of God. I've temporarily paused my pursuit. My prayers seem futile...and they are because my heart is not clean. Thank you for this reminder!

Renee Swope said...

I miss you. I love you. I am praying for you. Are you in town? Need a visit from a very cute and sweet little pumpkin? Would love to bring you the gift of Aster's smile!

Renee